- All students, grades 1 through 8 are required to attend 8:15 Mass daily.
- Formal Religion classes are held every day in grades Kindergarten thru 8.
- Boys are trained for service at the altar beginning in the fourth grade.
- Support of the Missions is promoted and encouraged.
The sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist will be administered to students in the second grade and above. Ordinarily, students receive these sacraments for the first time in the spring of the second-grade year. The sacrament of Confirmation is administered once a year in the spring to the fifth-grade students and older. Devotions to our Blessed Mother such as May Crowning and other devotions including the Rosary, Prayer Services, and visits to the Blessed Sacrament occur during the appropriate season.
St. John’s students and teachers attend Holy Mass daily. Our participation in daily Mass is to be one of prayerful participation, self-discipline, and reverence. At Holy Mass, we participate in the reenactment of Calvary and in the salvation of our souls. Through our reverent participation, we give glory to God. Students are required to show respect in the church by:
- observe silence – before, during, and after mass
- genuflecting when entering/leaving a pew or approaching the altar
- handling Missalettes and kneelers appropriately (please keep feet on floor and off the kneelers)
- kneeling correctly and upright, when appropriate
- Remain facing toward the altar throughout the entirety of the Mass
- being courteous and respectful to parishioners attending Mass
St. John’s students will follow these rules during Mass:
- respond to prayers
- follow along (using books when appropriate)
- sing during Mass – (holding songbook at chest level, not resting on pew)
- keep restroom visits reserved for emergencies only – teacher discretion.
Children are to sit with their class during Mass. For special occasions, parents may ask for permission to sit with a student class.
The Kindergarten students start attending Mass at the beginning of the 2nd quarter of the school year. They attend Mass on Wednesdays during the 2nd Quarter, Wednesdays and Fridays during the 3rd Quarter, and Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the 4th quarter.